You may have noticed that the message board was added today (see the link in the menu bar at the top of the page.) Now I’ve run forums before, and there are many options as to what software to use. I’m trying something new here.. so before I take the plunge and officially make it part of the website I would really appreciate some feedback.
Please test it out.. make some posts.. start some actual discussions… AND then either comment here or on the message board HERE about how you find the user experience.
If you like it we will add it to the site permanently, and rehome it to our domain, either as askjdog.com/forum or forum.askjdog.com. If not then I’ll add a more traditional forum script.
Here are my favorite features, and reasons for choosing this particular solution:
- Fresh clean user interface that just looks more web 2.0 to me than traditional message boards.
- It’s a hosted service which means less programming & maintenance for me, leaving more time to focus on answering questions and creating content for the main website.
- Another cool feature is the cleaver use of RSS feeds
- All topics have their own RSS feed a great way to keep track of a topic that you find very important.
- Each user effectively has their own blog page of all their posts, and if you find value in the writings of one particular forum member then you can subscribe to their post blog.
- The active support team seem intent on refining the user experience and adding new features.
We have chosen ‘free forums by Lefora’ as our first candidate for the official message board.
Thanks for helping make the decision!